Author Topic: World size and level design questions  (Read 207 times)

Hyrad

• View Profile
World size and level design questions
« on: February 12, 2019, 09:00:05 PM »
Hi, I really like the fact that the engine wraps the world around a sphere and thus creates a seamless exploration experience. However, I would like to know if it also possible to create more contained game levels where, for instance players would be confined on a deserted island and when sufficient preset conditions are met, move on to the next island. I have been experimented with beaches and sea levels, but while the sheer epicness of the landscapes created seems a big much in terms of scale. So specifically, what I would like to know is:

Can we set the world size?
Can the world be set on a plane rather than a sphere?
What would be the best settings for creating an island where players could explore both above ground and underwater within a certain limit?
Is there any benefit in generating a smaller world, or should I just go with the generated sphere world, even if I am just using a small portion of it?

Thanks for your help,
JF

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: World size and level design questions
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 05:45:00 AM »
Hi JF, glad to reply to your questions:

1. World Size: there're two different ways to limite the world size.
a) Define playable area where player can move.
b) Override the created chunks to make them empty outside the desired area.

Please check this KB for more details: https://kronnect.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/42000005512-limit-playable-area

2. Plane vs sphere.
I'm confused here. When you refer to spherical world, are you referring to some demo scene perhaps?
In Voxel Play, the terrain generators produce the contents for the chunks around the player. The default terrain generators generate flat terrain, not spherical worlds. although you could code a terrain generator that generates chunks according to a spherical world.

The world is generated on demand so there's no problem with big worlds - it's just a matter of how far the player is allowed to go.

Regarding the island scenes, one option is to use standard Unity terrain sculpted by terrain tools like Gaia and use the Unity Terrain Converter to create a Voxel World based on that terrain info. Please check this article for details: https://kronnect.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/42000032399-converting-unity-terrains-to-voxel-play-environment

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions.

Hyrad

• View Profile
Re: World size and level design questions
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 09:49:59 PM »
Thanks for the info, makes things clearer!