Author Topic: Visual customizability  (Read 776 times)

HolyManfred

• View Profile
Visual customizability
« on: August 25, 2019, 12:39:09 PM »
Hi there,
I have a few questions about the WMSK asset, before I purchase it:

1) To what extent is it possible to change the visuals of the map, specifically the terrain and 3d objects used? Is it possible to create a more stylized version by adding things such as custom trees/mountains, custom terrain mesh, custom water shader, etc?
Would the asset allow to build a map such as this (https://i.redd.it/srgqdu65lu901.jpg), using extremely stylized assets?

2) How modular is the whole thing? It looks like there are a lot of features I won't need, such as pathfinding, day/night mode, etc. How easy is it to disable/remove those features in order to keep the build as lean as possible?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 10:15:17 AM by Kronnect »

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Visual customizability
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 02:16:31 PM »
Hi,

The asset is aimed to war-games creation mainly (grand strategy-based), not RTS. However, it provides compatibility with Unity terrain, which means you could use standard Unity terrain (plus any other water asset or atmospheric fog effects) and still have the highlighting and region borders features over the terrain itself by using the provided custom terrain shader.

The asset comes with two demo scenes using the standard Unity terrain.

Certainly it has many features, many of them are scripting-based so that means that you are not forced to use them. Also the weight of the asset is mostly due to the amount of textures so you can also remove anything that you won't be used (in fact it's recommended).

Regards

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 02:17:33 PM »
If you're mostly inclined to use standard Unity assets, like terrain and other assets, you may want to take a look at Terrain Grid System as well.

HolyManfred

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 02:57:12 PM »
Thank you for the clarification.
I'll give it a try and see how it works out.

HolyManfred

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 09:05:19 AM »
Alright, so far so good. The asset looks really powerful and feature packed.

I started editing the map and removing continents and countries (since I only need Europe) but I can't seem to find out how to remove cities. I only require a very few select cities and would like to delete all others.
I think I am missing something simple here, since deleting countries and regions is quite easy.
How do I remove/add cities to my map?

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 07:32:11 AM »
Hi,

When you delete a country, it will also delete all cities of that country.

To remove individual cities:
1. Click "Select" tool in Map Editor and click on any city. The city icon (circle) color will change and its properties will be shown in the inspector.
2. Now click "Reshape" and you will see a section titled "City Modifying Tools" which allows you to Move or Delete the selected city.

To add a new city:
1. Click "Create" tool in Map Editor and select "City". Now you can click anywhere on the map to add a new city.

Remember to click "Save" to make your changes permanent.

HolyManfred

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 12:17:28 PM »
Thank you, that does the job.
However, since I needed to remove so much, what I ended up doing was just editing the cities10.txt directly and removing all cities there. So far nothing has broken, so I guess that is one way of doing it :)

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 12:40:30 PM »
:) Yes, that also works.

HolyManfred

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 02:02:22 PM »
Let me follow up with a slightly more tricky question:

I am still working on building a nice looking Europe only map. I would like to use a nice high-res Europe texture that covers the full 2:1 texture. I replaced the world texture with a Europe-only texture and the map looks like this now:

Is there any way to either:

- Scale up all existing countries and move them to match the background texture?
- Or any other way to build a Europe only map using the full texture area that doesn't involve rebuilding everything from scratch? -< Hiding the earth texture and replacing it with a custom object seems to work great

EDIT:

I tried hiding the earth texture in the WMSK object settings and added a custom quad under the map with my own texture:

Looks pretty good so far. Next I'll test what happens when I add a terrain instead of a flat texture?

EDIT 2:
No luck with the terrain though. Could you recommend on what the best way to set up a terrain on this type of map would be? I made a terrain and dragged it into the Render Viewport slot but it doesn't work and rendered weirdly.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 03:36:31 PM by HolyManfred »

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2019, 09:14:49 AM »
The easiest way to restrict the map to a certain area is to use the Viewport Rect feature. Basically you're limiting the scrolling to Europe. Once you do that, you can remove other countries and can also work a bit on the textures but this way you don't have to mess with the coordinates.
Check out this video: https://youtu.be/DvrTGZ4wTlc
Use latest update of WMSK which comes with a minor usability fix when assigning the terrain to the viewport.

HolyManfred

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2019, 09:59:18 AM »
I am using the latest version of WMSK.
The Viewport Rect is not really an issue, since I am using my own camera with cutsom camera controls (panning, zooming, etc).

My problem is rather that when assigning a terrain, the size/scale of the WMSK will be set to the terrain size, so that both terrain and the WMSK always have the same size. This means that I always end up with a terrain that is 90% unused because I am only looking at the rather small Europe area. Since Unity terrains are quite expensive I'd like to find a solution where I can have a relatively high resolution terrain but not have the majority of it empty.
Example: I have a 2k x 1k terrain to allow for sufficient detail when painting, but the area the player sees is only ever about 250m x 250m.

The only way is see to prevent this would be to scale up all my regions and move them to the map center, so I can make better use of the whole map. Is there any way to do this without starting from scratch?

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2019, 10:15:02 AM »
It's doable although it requires some testing. You need to use a script that scale/shift the coordinates of country frontiers (and cities/provinces if you use them).
Each country has n regions and a region has an array of points. Each point is defined in the range -0.5..0.5 for both x and y axis. Ideally this could be an extension of the Map Editor so you could enter the shift / scale amount and see the changes in realtime, then you could save the new coordinates and end-of-story.

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2019, 09:03:34 AM »
I managed to add a small utility to the Map Editor which allows you to apply a scale and shift to both map entities and texture.
Here's a video: https://youtu.be/CYg5Lqo4noI

HolyManfred

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2019, 07:24:59 AM »
Thank you so much for this! That is excellent. Any chance you could share the updated script?

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2019, 08:26:05 AM »
It's included in latest beta of WMSK 2. If you don't have access, please send me a pm with your invoice number and I'll grant you access on the fly :)