Author Topic: Visual customizability  (Read 66 times)

HolyManfred

• View Profile
Visual customizability
« on: August 25, 2019, 12:39:09 PM »
Hi there,
I have a few questions about the WMSK asset, before I purchase it:

1) To what extent is it possible to change the visuals of the map, specifically the terrain and 3d objects used? Is it possible to create a more stylized version by adding things such as custom trees/mountains, custom terrain mesh, custom water shader, etc?
Would the asset allow to build a map such as this (https://i.redd.it/srgqdu65lu901.jpg), using extremely stylized assets?

2) How modular is the whole thing? It looks like there are a lot of features I won't need, such as pathfinding, day/night mode, etc. How easy is it to disable/remove those features in order to keep the build as lean as possible?

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Visual customizability
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 02:16:31 PM »
Hi,

The asset is aimed to war-games creation mainly (grand strategy-based), not RTS. However, it provides compatibility with Unity terrain, which means you could use standard Unity terrain (plus any other water asset or atmospheric fog effects) and still have the highlighting and region borders features over the terrain itself by using the provided custom terrain shader.

The asset comes with two demo scenes using the standard Unity terrain.

Certainly it has many features, many of them are scripting-based so that means that you are not forced to use them. Also the weight of the asset is mostly due to the amount of textures so you can also remove anything that you won't be used (in fact it's recommended).

Regards

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 02:17:33 PM »
If you're mostly inclined to use standard Unity assets, like terrain and other assets, you may want to take a look at Terrain Grid System as well.

HolyManfred

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 02:57:12 PM »
Thank you for the clarification.
I'll give it a try and see how it works out.

HolyManfred

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 09:05:19 AM »
Alright, so far so good. The asset looks really powerful and feature packed.

I started editing the map and removing continents and countries (since I only need Europe) but I can't seem to find out how to remove cities. I only require a very few select cities and would like to delete all others.
I think I am missing something simple here, since deleting countries and regions is quite easy.
How do I remove/add cities to my map?

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 07:32:11 AM »
Hi,

When you delete a country, it will also delete all cities of that country.

To remove individual cities:
1. Click "Select" tool in Map Editor and click on any city. The city icon (circle) color will change and its properties will be shown in the inspector.
2. Now click "Reshape" and you will see a section titled "City Modifying Tools" which allows you to Move or Delete the selected city.

To add a new city:
1. Click "Create" tool in Map Editor and select "City". Now you can click anywhere on the map to add a new city.

Remember to click "Save" to make your changes permanent.