Author Topic: Which one?  (Read 3112 times)

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Which one?
« on: December 02, 2015, 01:50:00 AM »
Hi there!

Recently we received one email from an user requesting advice on which product to purchase, either Dynamic Fog & Mist or Volumetric Fog & Mist. Since both of them are full-screen post-image effects which adds animated fog, he wanted to make sure to understand what the differences are.

So, Dynamic Fog & Mist is a light-weight, highly performance, full-screen post-image effect. It can add nice animated fog & mist effects to Unity with better performance than Volumetric Fog & Mist. It can run on modern mobile devices and VR as well.

Volumetric Fog & Mist on the other hand provides better visual quality and features not available on Dynamic Fog & Mist. For instance, fog in Volumetric has simulated light effects, capable of adding nice glowing and shadows inside the fog. In Dynamic Fog & Mist you can select the color and transparency of the fog, whereas in Volumetric you can change the albedo (base color of fog), specular color and light color, even you can change light and wind directions, options not available in Dynamic.

In addition to above, Volumetric uses a different technique which provides a real sense of 3D fog in space from any angle, can render more complex fog and cloudy formations, whereas in Dynamic Fog & Mist effect the fog can look a little more shallow and flat. Check out the video of Volumetric where you can "walk into" some ground cloud formations. Really cool!

Both assets come with different inspector options to tweak the visual effect and performance.

In summary, Volumetric offers best-in-class fog effects. If you're targeting Desktop platforms, choose Volumetric Fog & Mist. For mobile devices, we recommend trying first Dynamic Fog & Mist.

When you purchase Volumetric Fog & Mist, it comes with a copy of Dynamic Fog & Mist, so it's an all-in-one stop anyway! You get the two packages in one! And if you prefer to purchase Dynamic Fog & Mist first, you can always upgrade later to Volumetric for just $20 !

We hope you enjoy this new asset!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 06:27:05 AM by Kronnect »

JJN00711

Re: Which one?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 12:39:00 PM »
Do you have an sample .apk builds that shows the Dynamic Fog & Mist that I can load onto my device to get a feel for it??  Once I purchase the plugin can you give me some idea what's happening under the hood, so I can optimize and take into full consideration how we should be building the scenes?
 8)

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Which one?
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 01:06:28 PM »