Author Topic: Xframe - beautify incompatibility  (Read 1478 times)

thomasctobin

• View Profile
Xframe - beautify incompatibility
« on: August 02, 2017, 07:07:07 AM »
I was willing to buy Xframe when i read the features, tried the demo, I am currently using beautify on my camera. I set xframe to Second   Camera   Billboard Overlay which completely messed up my on screen GUI. Not sure if they work together? Any recommendations?

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Xframe - beautify incompatibility
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 07:39:57 AM »
Hello,

Are you using immediate GUI or uGUI?

Does the issue occur only when you add Beautify? You can add Beautify to the same camera of X-Frame OR onto the camera created by X-Frame to reduce the target buffer (XFrameCameraInstanced).

Regards.

thomasctobin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 07:44:46 AM »
I am using uGUI. Problem occurs on both.

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 08:18:52 AM »
I have created a simple scene and it works as expected. Can you send me your scene just with your GUI?

thomasctobin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 11:19:47 AM »
Ok so, Still can't get it working. I have My original camera set to depth 0. I have the xframe set to adaptive downsampling. It is also set to second camera billboard world space.
My UI Canvas is set to screen space overlay. I have fixed this to be on top of everything. However, beautify is now on the xframecamerainstanced as recommended. There is no effect shown in the game view.

thomasctobin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 11:22:40 AM »
Figured it out! Nice fps would disable beautify as it was on the instanced camera as recommended. Is it possible to turn beautify off when below the nice fps? And enable it when it is above?

thomasctobin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 11:30:48 AM »
Follow up, just built to the mobile device, it comes out blue and pixelated and frozen?
Any suggestions?

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 12:19:24 PM »
Hi!

I'll check what could it be happening and report back.

Yes, I think it's better to include X-Frame and Beautify as excluding options. Irrespective of the possibility of using them altogether, the visual impact won't be as you expect. The reason is that X-Frame reduces pixel density on the screen device whereas Beautify improves sharpness of that image. So, the combination could be lot of pixelization since Beautify will augment the distortion produced by X-Frame.

However, making the switch dynamically won't work since the impact on mobile for adding a new full-screen image effect will always make FPS drop again below the nice fps setting.

My recommendation is to provide a few of excluding options in your game:

- Best performance (enabling X-Frame). You can also try using Quad Downsampling with a strict downscale factor instead of using adaptative downsampling. This option can work better on some devices since it does not jump up and down in FPS, it tends to stabilize fps better, although also the quality will also be lower in those scenes where it does not need to reduce so much.

- Standard quality (no image effects).

- Good quality (Beautify with Best Performance preset and possibly other options disabled).

- Best Quality (Beautify enabled with all the wanted goodies).

Regards.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 12:21:24 PM by Kronnect »

thomasctobin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 01:12:16 PM »
Ok so, Got Xframe working with Beautify. However...Now bloom and lens dirt do not show.

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 12:51:12 AM »
I tested a very simple scene and works with the appropiate setup. I also discovered that the Second Camera Blit option shows issues on Unity 2017 if allow MSAA setting is enabled on the instanced camera. Disabling it manually makes it work again (only applies to Second Camera Blit).

Here's the video with my setup:
https://youtu.be/IB8Xqytgrc4

EDIT: I also gave you access to the private beta board so you can try the latest package with the MSAA fix.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 01:37:12 AM by Kronnect »

thomasctobin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 06:46:10 AM »
Thanks so much for the continual support, I have determined the problem now is lens and lighting effects do not work on the XFRAMECamerainstanced when they have a layer mask.

Any ideas?

thomasctobin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 11:41:22 AM »
Beautify does not support layers for bloom when using xframe?

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 12:00:22 PM »
When you attach Beautify to X-Frame instanced camera it asumes thatís the rendering camera (which is normal). But that camera is just upsampling the X-Frame buffer so it messes Beautify.
The modification I sent to you works on my end. Could you send me a screenshot of your X-Frame settings and also Beautifyís settings as well? Thanks!

JediNizar

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2017, 08:29:05 PM »
sorry for jumping in.. but like I've mentioned in the other thread I 've just bought X-Frame and I'm actually using Beautify.. is it fixed now? @thomasctobin If you have managed to get it work, do you mind to share the steps??

thanks