Author Topic: Imperial Times (Demo & Video)  (Read 499 times)

alabecki

• View Profile
Imperial Times (Demo & Video)
« on: June 29, 2019, 01:00:15 AM »
* Edit I just realized that there should be some images in this message, so I added a few, along with another video link*

I recently completed a Demo of my game Imperial Times, which makes use of WMSK.
I would like to thank the people at Kronnect for helping to make this happen with their wonderful asset :)

Imperial Times is a turn-based strategy game set in a fictional world during the industrial revolution (1790-1910 technology).

Links to two short game play video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRliM6qDLNg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUFH1rZu3mE&t=98s

Link to play through of the tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrNfiQsWMS8&t=162s

Link to Demo download:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1BFWEmChgbIyymZT13Kjgk2FdzIMDwmiz
?usp=sharing

Alternate Demo Link:
https://gamejolt.com/games/Imperial-Times/415532

Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/ImperialTimesGame/?modal=admin_todo_tour

Any feedback would be most appreciated :)

« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 10:27:15 PM by alabecki »

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Imperial Times (Demo & Video)
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 05:38:41 AM »
Hey, amazing work!
It looks great, I like the detail level you are adding to the mechanics - visually speaking perhaps you could try making the map colors a bit less saturated. I知 releasing a new asset called Color Studio that may be helpful to create great looking palettes and gradients that work nicely as a whole - I値l send you a copy.
I値l download your game soon. Thanks for sharing your game videos and demo. Eager to play it :)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 05:49:02 AM by Kronnect »

alabecki

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 01:58:46 PM »
Hey, amazing work!
It looks great, I like the detail level you are adding to the mechanics - visually speaking perhaps you could try making the map colors a bit less saturated. I知 releasing a new asset called Color Studio that may be helpful to create great looking palettes and gradients that work nicely as a whole - I値l send you a copy.
I値l download your game soon. Thanks for sharing your game videos and demo. Eager to play it :)

Thank you! I certainly put a lot of time into it.

Presently, I am assigning random colours to the nations. My plan has been to eventually hand-pick a specific colour for each nation, but I imagine that your Color Studio would yield better results  :)

Hope you enjoy the demo! Let me know if you encounter any difficulties getting it to run or if you run into game-breaking bugs.

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 02:24:58 AM »
Hey, had the opportunity to play the game a bit. I think it's going to be really great!
Here're some suggestions and random tips from a first-timer :)

I like the tutorial. The characters that guide you are charming and the explanations are key to understand the interface and mechanics. However it also should explain what's the goal (or main goals) of the game, such as conquering the world, reaching certan economic/research level, etc. It may be obvious but I wonder if there will be some progress report regarding the different ways to win the game (like % of world conquered or something similar).

The tutorial should be enabled by default the first time the game is run. Or ask the player if he wants to start the tutorial as he starts the game (could also be invoked at any time from the help menu). I think everyone should play the tutorial - otherwise some important aspects of the game can be overlooked.
Also, since the tutorial can be extensive due to the scope of the game options, you could add a couple of buttons to quickly skip some texts or go back. I like the letter-by-letter text effect but it could finish and show up in full immediately if the player clicks the panel.

The textured + resource view could also be the default view. I'd use the political/color-based view at discretion, to check some diplomatic, scores, events or other statistical queries. The resources seem to appear at the capital position, hiding the yellow star. They could be shifted a bit to avoid this overlap.

The player's country could be highlighted using custom borders like in this video. So it's very clear what're your dominions without having to look for the nation name.

A warning could be displayed on top of the Transportation icon to warn that you have idle trains (similar warnings could be shown on top of the trade or manufacturing icons if I didn't make any choice there this turn, just as reminders).
In the trade window I think it would be useful to quickly see the amount of each item in the inventory without having to go through each one.

All in all, the game looks promising - I'm curious about how the war system will be implemented as well.
Keep those characters around the player, they're really funny. Again, thanks for sharing the game - it also helps identifying some new features or improvements that could be added to the asset :)

alabecki

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 11:14:53 PM »
Thank you so much for the thoughtful feed back. I really appreciate it  ;D

Hey, had the opportunity to play the game a bit. I think it's going to be really great!
Here're some suggestions and random tips from a first-timer :)

I like the tutorial. The characters that guide you are charming and the explanations are key to understand the interface and mechanics. However it also should explain what's the goal (or main goals) of the game, such as conquering the world, reaching certan economic/research level, etc. It may be obvious but I wonder if there will be some progress report regarding the different ways to win the game (like % of world conquered or something similar).

Yes, I should be more clear about victory conditions. Basically, the winner will be the player with the most Prestige at the end of the game (probably 100 or 120 turns), where Prestige is gained from Culture Cards, colonies, spheres, and wars. There is no conquest victory, because you are only allowed to annex an old-world province if it belongs to your Culture (during the 1800s nationalist unification was the only acceptable justification for annexing territory from a European nation), and usually there will only be 1 or 2 provinces of your culture that do not belong to you at the start of the game.

The tutorial should be enabled by default the first time the game is run. Or ask the player if he wants to start the tutorial as he starts the game (could also be invoked at any time from the help menu). I think everyone should play the tutorial - otherwise some important aspects of the game can be overlooked.
Also, since the tutorial can be extensive due to the scope of the game options, you could add a couple of buttons to quickly skip some texts or go back. I like the letter-by-letter text effect but it could finish and show up in full immediately if the player clicks the panel.

Yes, this is something I was thinking the other day. I added a button to skip over typing and will have the game know whether it has been played before (in which case the player will be prompted to go straight to the tutorial)

The textured + resource view could also be the default view. I'd use the political/color-based view at discretion, to check some diplomatic, scores, events or other statistical queries. The resources seem to appear at the capital position, hiding the yellow star. They could be shifted a bit to avoid this overlap.

Is there a function in the API that would allow me to place an object at a distance from a province centered specified by a 2 Vector? Or will I need to use mount-points for this?

The player's country could be highlighted using custom borders like in this video. So it's very clear what're your dominions without having to look for the nation name.

Good idea!

A warning could be displayed on top of the Transportation icon to warn that you have idle trains (similar warnings could be shown on top of the trade or manufacturing icons if I didn't make any choice there this turn, just as reminders).
In the trade window I think it would be useful to quickly see the amount of each item in the inventory without having to go through each one.
Yes, I remember that Imperialism (1997) gave the player a warning if transport capacity was going to waste, I should do the same.

All in all, the game looks promising - I'm curious about how the war system will be implemented as well.

Warfare will not be a huge part of game and wars handled very quickly, but there will be a relatively sophisticated algorithm used to determine their outcomes.   

Keep those characters around the player, they're really funny. Again, thanks for sharing the game - it also helps identifying some new features or improvements that could be added to the asset :)

Regarding improvements to the asset, one thing I sometimes wish for would be some low-poly models for "land marks" like cities, seaports, airports, forts, etc.  While there are lots of 3D models on the asset store and beyond, there are relatively few that are really appropriate for map landmarks. I would not expect such things from an update, but maybe as part of a stand-alone expansion asset.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 11:19:19 PM by alabecki »

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 11:22:32 PM »
If the map frontiers are not changing, yes, mount points are very useful to deploy resource positions.

Altaris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 07:06:19 AM »
There's some really good stuff in here, I like the cartoony 3D characters in particular. Did you model these yourself?

alabecki

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 09:48:21 PM »
There's some really good stuff in here, I like the cartoony 3D characters in particular. Did you model these yourself?

Thanks Altaris :)

No, I have almost zero 3D modelling skills. I purchased the characters models at cgtrader. 

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2019, 12:02:06 AM »
There池e some interesting political characters here as well:
https://assetstore.unity.com/publishers/24259?aid=1101lGsd

JDSweetMeat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2019, 12:04:01 PM »
To add onto Kronnect's advice, the UI isn't always very clear, and doesn't always intuitively deliver the information needed to make decisions.

Personally, I like to be able to play games and pick them up intuitively. The best way to do this is to put tooltips on *everything.*

Also, I'd include a "-" and a "+" to control the resource creation in the production panel.

Now, as a positive, the idea is great, and I think you've adapted a Victoria-esque economic system very well for a turn-based game. The sound track was also amazing -- I'd even go so far as to say that it's actually as good as or better than most Paradox soundtracks.

The one thing I'd complain about (other than the UI) is the lack of a more thorough war system.

alabecki

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2019, 12:55:13 PM »
There池e some interesting political characters here as well:
https://assetstore.unity.com/publishers/24259?aid=1101lGsd

Yes, those one's are of much better quality, but not from the right period (plus, my characters are fictional).
But the people at Veg3D would be good to work with if I can get some funding  ;D

alabecki

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2019, 01:11:35 PM »
Thanks for the feedback JD

To add onto Kronnect's advice, the UI isn't always very clear, and doesn't always intuitively deliver the information needed to make decisions.
Personally, I like to be able to play games and pick them up intuitively. The best way to do this is to put tooltips on *everything.*
I was hoping that the two side-panels would provide most of the information that the player would need to make decisions.
I will certainly add more more tool tips, but I am not sure if I could make it into something you can just pick up and play (the game that inspired it is certainly not like that, lol).
Did you check out the tutorial?

Also, I'd include a "-" and a "+" to control the resource creation in the production panel.
So you would prefer to use "-" and "+" over the slider?
Now, as a positive, the idea is great, and I think you've adapted a Victoria-esque economic system very well for a turn-based game. The sound track was also amazing -- I'd even go so far as to say that it's actually as good as or better than most Paradox soundtracks.
Yeah, one nice thing about making a game in this period is that takes place during the Golden Age of Western music, and it is possible to find okay public domain recordings of most of the great classics. I don't know why Paradox bothered to have original music made for Victoria 2. I mean, the music in Victoria 2 is pretty good, but it is not Beethoven, Chopin, Schubert, and Wagner, lol.

The one thing I'd complain about (other than the UI) is the lack of a more thorough war system.

There is no real war system at all at this point (besides colonial competition being abstracted to a bidding process). There will be a war system added after I add the Event system. It will still be pretty quick and simple, because I do not want war to be a major emphasis of the game.

JDSweetMeat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2019, 09:31:57 PM »

I was hoping that the two side-panels would provide most of the information that the player would need to make decisions.
I will certainly add more more tool tips, but I am not sure if I could make it into something you can just pick up and play (the game that inspired it is certainly not like that, lol).

Yeah, one nice thing about making a game in this period is that takes place during the Golden Age of Western music, and it is possible to find okay public domain recordings of most of the great classics. I don't know why Paradox bothered to have original music made for Victoria 2. I mean, the music in Victoria 2 is pretty good, but it is not Beethoven, Chopin, Schubert, and Wagner, lol.

There is no real war system at all at this point (besides colonial competition being abstracted to a bidding process). There will be a war system added after I add the Event system. It will still be pretty quick and simple, because I do not want war to be a major emphasis of the game.

1.) Yeah, I did check out the tutorial (and it did a good job of explaining things). Funny enough though, I actually did just pick up Vicky 2 and teach myself how to play it. I mean, most Paradox games follow the same basic formula, enough so that a good EU3 or EU4 player can become a (more or less) competent Vicky 2 or CK2 player in a few hours. Most of your player base will likely be from Paradox games, so making the UI as similar as possible would be a benefit.

2.) *In addition to* the slider. The "+" would advance the slider by 1. The "-" would decrease the slider by 1 (if that makes sense? I might not be explaining it well).

3.) Yeah, it was probably a waste of money on Paradox's part.

4.) Yeah, I get that. Still, adding an influence/sphere system with an appropriate war system could tie into the economics system quite well.

JDSweetMeat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2019, 11:25:03 PM »

Regardless, PM me when your game is ready for release and I'll purchase a copy and leave a good review :-)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 11:26:45 PM by JDSweetMeat »

alabecki

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2019, 01:12:33 PM »

Regardless, PM me when your game is ready for release and I'll purchase a copy and leave a good review :-)

I sure will, thank you JD :)