Author Topic: Huge/Real scale troubles  (Read 284 times)

MR

• View Profile
Huge/Real scale troubles
« on: February 14, 2020, 01:16:48 PM »
Hello!

I would like to replace an existing earth asset of mine with this using a tile server, but I am having some trouble. My game's scale is 1:1 and when I scale your earth globe up to a large size, zooming into the globe does not show more detailed tiles in the expected way.
When I move a camera closer to the surface, it seems to get stuck at loading detail level 4 or 5 even when it should be showing something more like 10+. However, sometimes when I rotate the camera off center and move it about, some of the higher detail tiles load in and then it acts more like expected.

To reproduce:
  • Load example "09 SlippyMap"
  • Change Globe scale to (1.2742e+07, 1.2742e+07, 1.2742e+07)
  • Change Globe rotation to (0, 140, -85)
  • Change Globe position to (0, 0, 6371000)
  • Disable Globe interaction settings
  • Change Camera position to (0, 0, -1000000)
  • Change Camera "Clear Flags" to "Solid Color"
  • Change Camera far clipping to 6000000
  • Remove "Demo" GameObject

Hit play and the Globe loads with OSM as expected.
Change the camera distance to -100000 (remove one 0) and it loads a more detailed zoom, but it's pixelated.
Change the camera distance to -10000 (remove another 0) and it doesn't load any more detail, it's just super pixelated.
Slowly change the Camera's x rotation from 0 to -60. You'll notice tiles in the distance load high detail, but the ones closer still are not loading.
Slowly rotate the Camera's x rotation back to 0 and you'll still see low detail tiles.

I have my own camera flying script to allow me to fly around the globe and I can usually get the tiles to load somewhat detailed if the camera is not directly perpendicular to the surface, but 99% of the time when I am looking more or less straight at the globe, it doesn't load the highest detail. In fact it replaces some of the existing highest detail with low detail.

Is there anything that can be done to make it load correctly?

Thanks!

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Huge/Real scale troubles
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 02:54:31 PM »
Thanks for the repro steps. I'll check that.

Latest beta contains important improvements and fixes for the tile system so I eagerly recommend you to get that. Please send me a pm with your invoice number to get access to the private beta board.

Regards

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 09:30:08 AM »
Hi again,

Tried above steps with latest beta and it seems to work as expected. There's flickering occuring on labels due to the super-big scale which produces certain z-fighting but other than that, tile loading and rendering is fine.

Regards

MR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 07:57:17 AM »
Kronnect,

I tried the new beta and it's working a lot better!

Thanks!