Author Topic: Higher res map with more provinces, without losing current frontiers.  (Read 478 times)

mythicbags

• View Profile
Hello,

I would like to increase the quality of the earth texture and add more province granularity. The Province Equalizer feature is nice, but I don't want to set a limit of provinces per country, as that means larger countries have larger provinces. For example, Germany's provinces are a lot larger on average and I need them to be broken up so that provinces in general are relatively smaller and standardized in size across the map. Exceptions are ok for sparsely populated areas.

What resource do I need to go to, to 'upgrade' the province geodata available for Germany, for example? Am worried that if I get this data elsewhere from where you got it, it won't match up with the rest of your already defined frontiers. Same for the 16k resolution earth texture. Can I get a 64k version of it from the same source you did, so that the borders match up nicely after the upgrade?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 06:42:12 PM by mythicbags »

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Borders won't probably match as the frontiers data included in the asset have some manual adjustments to reduce distortion on certain areas - the same goes for other Earth textures - generic Earth textures at the given resolution level should work out of the box, but if you increase the level of detail you will find that different data sources have different projection fidelity hence borders usually don't match among different sources of data.
However the only way to know how much difference you get is to try out those resources.

Regarding the Province Equalizer, it works by merging provinces - I understand you want to make a similar tool that averages land area (ie. km2) and split provinces recursively in some fashion? The question is, would that work randomly, like splitting a province in half and applying some noise along the dividing line?

mythicbags

• View Profile
The question is, would that work randomly, like splitting a province in half and applying some noise along the dividing line?

It could perhaps be used on a per-country basis, where it would split already existing provinces into ones of similar size across the country. In the end though, if some of the countries are using real life geodata, and some don't, it will get noticed by the player. Probably best to just use more granular geodata on all countries from the start.

This all makes me wonder whether its just best to draw my own borders that are roughly the same as real life. In this way, I could also control how many other provinces each province borders, which is crucial for strategy games. Thanks for your time!

Zarkow

I am looking forward to using this kit as a start-point for an upcoming strategy game - but also wonder about the creation/editing of provinces.

Since the game we are looking at is placed 1939+, the country-borders is very different from any map drawn of today's borders. And provinces would need to be edited aswell.

What is the preferred/recommended approach to manually adjust a full world-map at this scale? (i.e. where all data may need to be touched up, to fit the style and scale of the game a dev chooses.)

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi,
Here's a compilation of resources and videos related to map edition:
https://kronnect.me/taptapgo/index.php/topic,2494.0.html
Regards